Monday, August 13, 2007

party

Tonight I am in the peace ward without a second nurse. Just me and my eight patients. I am able to be as crazy as I want too.

We had fun tonight.

My friend Stacy walked by our ward, came in, and said
"I saw a party and I had to come in...I'm a little jealous of the ward nurses."

I really don't want you to get the wrong impression. We do work hard here in Africa. But this weekend was a much needed ship holiday (translation: anyone who works 9 to 5 had Friday and Monday off). So we have had no fresh post-ops since Thursday night. Everyone feels pretty good at this point.

The night started with a the movie "The Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course" featuring the late Steve Irwin. The ward is filled with teenagers at the moment and they laughed and oohed at the scary crocodiles and slimy snakes. I sat on my patient Naymou's bed and held her hand as we watched the movie.

Mastering the art of carrying large objects on my head is a skill I am hoping to acquire during my time in Africa. Tonight I had a lesson from Prince.

Prince is a 16 year old boy who is witty, smart, and polite. His entire right leg is casted. His house has burnt down and he has nowhere to live. So he is staying a few nights with us. In Liberia, woman place carefully wrapped fabric on their heads when they want to carry something. Prince wrapped a pillow case for me and put it on my head. I then proceeded to carry a two gallon container of blocks on my head like a genuine African lady.

I walked the entire length of the hospital hallway. Every mobile patient sat at the door and watched. The others were my accompaniment. They all laughed hard at my half-hazard attempt.

So did I.

When I was finished "practicing" my developing skill, I showed them pictures of my family via the computer. Later we sang some Mary Mary songs. Patricia in bed 60 knows them all. I even tried to teach Esther, a 16 year old patient, some swing dance moves.

You always have to dance at parties.

Around 11:30 it was time for bed. Before they went to sleep I told them why I came to Africa. I told them how much God loves them. I read them the 23 Psalm,

"The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul."

Prince prayed a bedtime prayer and the lights were turned off.

I went to each bed and carefully tucked them in. It's been a good night.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a good night, after talking to you today it sounded like you needed a night like that. God is good and faithful to meet all our needs.
A wise girl wrote that in a card to me not to long ago...:)
Love you.

megan petock said...

I would have to agree...about the wise girl part :) (and the other part too!)

Alberta Wray said...

hi - you don't know me, but I was with Mercy Ships for 7+ years - last 3 on the AFM BEFORE it sailed to Liberia. I came across your blog and have enjoyed reading it. I'd just like to say... you GET IT!! Reading your experiences shows that you are really getting the full experience and God is giving you insightful wisdom...may the Lord bless you! Alberta

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful person you are-so full of grace-i wish when i had graduated nursing school that someone had told me about this-of course it would have been hard for me with a 5 year old in tow-i am living vicariously through your experieces-and what a wonderful thing to share with us...
patti-the rn from lehigh county

Anonymous said...

aww...
megan, i enjoy reading your blogs so much.
it makes my heart happy to see how much your being used.
i can just picture you going from bed to bed tucking in the little ones. =) so precious.
love you!

faith said...

DANCE PARTY!!!!