Friday, October 19, 2007

Esther's visit

Esther, a patient i took care of, comes to the ship weekly for physical therapy and wound care. Two weeks ago, during her first return, she sent my friend Melenie to retrieve me so I could say hello. Sadly, I was in the middle of taking our intubated patine to Cat Scan and could not leave the situation. Melanie told her I would try to see her next week.

Last week I worked night shift. Esther came around noon and asked the other nurses to find me. I was sleeping and the day nurses did not have the heart to wake me. Melanie said Esther was totally dejected that I could not come. She missed me.

Yesterday I was working in Faith ward (I was actually lip sinking to our feature film, "The Little Mermaid) when Kim Anna, who was Esther's adopt a patient, tapped me on the shoulder and asked if I was busy (I was busy lip singing). Apparently, Esther was in the next room having her physical therapy done.

I stopped singing and ran into the room.

Esther was standing in the middle of the room, wearing her purple dress, and smiling with all her gapped tooth goodness. Her hair was platted in a particularly crazy manner.

She threw her arms around me and we gave each other a bear hug. A long, lovely, bear hug.
It was so nice to see her.

Tonight, Esther, her sister, niece, and nephew ate dinner on the ship as Kim Anna's guest. We were all able to sit together. The cafeteria was a bit overwhelming for the normally loud and crazy Esther who sat there almost silently.

I'm so happy I was able to see her.

1 comment:

Tyrone said...

Hahaha, 'gapped tooth goodness'???

That sounds like something Alton Brown would say.