Sunday, October 28, 2007

update

Hello friends!

It’s been a awhile since I have communicated via email…I have been busy climbing mountains, taking care of patients, and trying to keep my 7 by 8 foot cubicle space in my six birth cabin in a state of somewhat organization (like that‘s actually possible).

It’s hard to believe that we are on the verge of November. The past two months have flown by and we are quickly approaching the end of our outreach in Liberia. The ward will be closing in only four weeks.

Life on the ship can be surprisingly busy and I have found myself somewhat exhausted. Perhaps it’s a side effect of an indecisive wisdom tooth that caused my right gum to become entirely inflamed or maybe it’s just my inability to get to bed before 1:00 am, but either way I am looking forward to our looming sail and spending the holidays in the city of Brotherly Love.
I have been on the ship for almost five months now and there is a long list of bizarre things which occur on a regular basis that have been normalized. But while ship life is becomes “normal” it could never quite feel like home and yet when I think of the experiences I am having in West Africa I doubt that home could ever feel completely like home again.

Feeling somewhat displaced has really made me question my idea of reality and ultimately realize once again that, “Those things which cannot be shaken may remain”, (Hebrew 12:28), and Christ alone is that which is immovable.

At the end of the day, at the end of myself, at the end of my pride, at the end of my sanity, at the end of my strength, I am simply being beckoned to assume my position as the privileged daughter of the Most High (a God’s princess as Gil trusty would say) with no strings or demands. I am simply asked to walk in love.

It’s very freeing.

I will say good night with two things that have resonated with me this week

Hebrews 11:13-14
These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth. For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country (homeland).

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."C. S. Lewis

No comments: