Wednesday, November 28, 2007

fire

"Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep, Beeeeeep,"

"Attention, Attention, there is a fire on the ship."

I looked over the clock and saw the time, 6:00 Am. Oh how I love mornings.

I rolled out of bed, grabbed my "muster bag" (a bag pack with food, water, and warm clothed in case I were to be stranded on a lifeboat in the ocean) and waited for the second round of alarms.
The alarms sounded along with the command to avoid any red painted steps because they were filled with smoke from the fire.

Of course, at 6 AM my brain is not functioning so I naturally walked towards a flight of red steps only to be greeted by clouds of smoke. I turned back around quickly.

After stumbling my way to deck seven, where the crew was mustering (gathering in specified groups), I was handed a bright orange life jacket and headed towards group D. All while the captain continued to give updates on the worsening ship fire.

Around 6:30 we were given the final command,

"Abandon Ship."

Which was followed with,

"Please walk to your lifeboat with your muster station and then hand in your life jacket. The drill is over."

No comments: