Monday, January 21, 2008

interview

Last night I had a phone interview at 8:30 pm from the Canary Islands. I thought I had thoroughly prepared myself for any potential questions, but the first inquiry caught me completely off guard.

When Sean asked me, "What was your childhood like," my elongated pause proved my need to quickly think of an answer.

Sean mom had asked via email if he could interview me. We had to delay the interview by a half an hour because Sean had a church league basketball game he needed to attend. I'm sad to say his team lost, but hopefully he'll make up for it by getting a good grade on his project.

Sean is a third grader at CCA who needed to interview a missionary for a school project. I was his interviewee choice.

When I was in third grade I remember walking into my classroom one day and seeing my third grade teacher, Miss Keyser, sitting in the front of the classroom with a stranger. They were both wearing colorful fabric on their heads and pretending to wash clothes in a large basin they had placed in the center of the room. The stranger was a missionary friend of my teacher's. I don't remember her face. I don't remember her name. I don't know what country she had served in, but I remember that she came. I remember thinking that I might be a missionary one day.

And here I am, fifteen years later, telling a third grader about life on a hospital ship in West Africa. When Sean is 24, he probably won't remember my name or the country I've served in, but maybe he'll remember that I came. And maybe he'll tell some third grader someday about his missionary work.

You never know who you might be inspiring.

It was great to talk to Sean, to see myself in some ways come full circle. To see how God is faithful to plant dreams in our hearts and carefully make them blossom.

It's really quite cool, huh? I think it so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The circle that the Lord has created is even bigger than you know, Megan. It was while Sean was with your mom in her Pre-K class that he prayed and asked Jesus into his heart. What a blessing your family has been to mine...and continues to be.