Monday, August 10, 2009

the fellowship of kindred spirits

The Million Dollar Baby Girls. We found the same shirt in three colors on the streets of Cotonou and wore them to a dance party. The shirts pretty much made the party for us.
Sandra and I on a top secret stealth mission. I'm thinking I might be to old for this...but it hasn't stopped me yet :)
Sarah and I doing Ninja jumps off the high dive at a local pool. Notice the amazing form of our jump kicks.

"Next moment the book was in our hands, our heads were bent close together, we were pointing, quoting, talking- soon almost shouting- discovering in a torrent of questions that we liked not only the same thing, but the same parts of it and in the same way; that both knew the stab of Joy and that, for both, the arrow was shot from the North. Many thousands of people have had the experience of finding the first friend, and it is none the less a wonder; as great a wonder as first love, or even greater....Nothing, I suspect, is more astonishing in any man's life than the discovery that there do exist people very, very like himself."

- C.S. Lewis, Surprised by Joy

I'm always amazed at how faithful God is to bring kindred spirits into my life. There is a distinct difference between a kindred spirit and a friend. You can talk to, hang out, and do fun things with a friend. But you can just be with a kindred spirit. There is no need to do anything. Kindred spirits ride the same wavelength and as C.S. Lewis mentioned, feel the same "stab of joy". It's as if there were an unspoken language that quietly pierces both hearts.

I have been blessed to know many kindred spirits and I can happily say the list is growing.
There are so many little things my heart delights in. It's nice to meet those who share the same secret.

No comments: