Monday, October 12, 2009

precious


Today I was on D ward looking for potential patient stories when I happened
upon a small tribe of amazingly cute kids. One of the nurses was holding the
pictured baby, who belonged to one of her patients, and she graciously handed
her over to me for a few minutes. This little baby girl is quite a peanut and,
honestly, far too precious for words.

There were several other equally wonderful kids. One was a two-year-old girl who had a certain sweetness about her. A few weeks ago she had a tumor de-bulked and the surgical site became infected. Now, half her face is completely swollen. She is on the ward receiving doses of antibiotics, which I am told she is responding very well too. She sat in a miniature chair and we threw a ball back and forth to each other for a few minutes. To her delight, whenever I caught the ball, I pretended to explode and she would break out if laughter. It was wonderful.

As I looked into her eyes, catching glimpses of her swollen faces and miniature IV, I remembered what a privilege it was to take care of sick kids. As much as I don't miss the stress, pressure, and frustrations of working in a hospital, I do miss taking care of kids. To be entrusted to the little ones Jesus loves dearly; there really could be no greater honor.

No comments: